Your search for real-time communication solutions with ultra-low latency may have resulted in a repetition of a common theme among all options. That theme is the wide use of WebRTC. Thus, if you are wondering what is WebRTC, this article will answer it for you. So, grab a cup of coffee and join us on this journey into the exciting world of WebRTC.
What is WebRTC?
WebRTC, or Web Real-Time Communication, is Google’s free and open-source technology to facilitate real-time communications, introduced in 2011. What is it used for? It enables real-time communication between web browsers and mobile applications. To explain WebRTC’s meaning in simple words, it enables web applications to have real-time communication capabilities without needing any plugins or additional software.
Moreover, it is essential to have real-time communication apps like video conferencing, voice calling, and file sharing. It is primarily based on standardized APIs, making it a popular choice for developers to build web applications. WebRTC’s native support in all major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and Edge also helps make it popular.
How Does WebRTC Work
To fully understand how WebRTC work, you first need to know the technologies it depends upon for efficient working. It generally uses a combination of RTP, SDP, ICE, and UDP. When two users want to communicate using WebRTC, their browsers establish a connection through a signaling server. The signaling server exchanges information between the browsers, including network addresses and media capabilities.
For initiating a communication session between two users, the first sends an offer to the other user’s browser. Furthermore, it contains information about the sender’s browser’s media capabilities and the session’s details. In response, the receiver browser sends its media capabilities and network information. After the exchange, the two browsers use ICE to determine the best path for data transmission.
ICE tries different methods to establish a direct connection between the two browsers. If a direct connection isn’t possible, the data will be relayed through a TURN (Traversal Using Relays around NAT) server. After a peer-to-peer connection is established, users can now communicate in real time. The media is usually sent using RTP and UDP, which provide low-latency real-time communication.
What is the Benefit of Using WebRTC?
Using WebRTC tutorial during web real-time communication app development offers many advantages. These benefits range from low-latency real-time communication to wide platform support. Summarized below are some of these benefits:
- Low Latency: WebRTC has a primary advantage in enabling real-time communication with minimal latency, resulting in negligible delay between sending and receiving a message. Low latency is possible because it doesn’t require any intermediary to establish a connection.
- Security: WebRTC is also highly secure as it uses end-to-end encryption to secure user communication. Moreover, its end-to-end encryption makes it a perfect option for communication applications prioritizing user privacy. Additionally, it also creates obstacles for any external parties attempting to intercept or manipulate the communication.
- Ease of Use: Due to standardized APIs, WebRTC is easy to use and can be effortlessly integrated into web applications with minimal effort. Moreover, it eliminates the need for additional software or plugins, saving time and resources.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: Having native support by all major browsers is also among the key benefits of WebRTC. The list of browsers supporting it includes giants like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge. This wide support means that using WebRTC ensures there are no compatibility issues across different platforms and devices.
- Cost-Effective: It is free and open-source, allowing you to develop real-time communication applications without paying licensing fees. Additionally, with its open-source nature, a robust community exists to address any challenges you encounter while incorporating its API.
Take Advantage of WebRTC with ZEGOCLOUD SDK
When it comes to finding solutions that employ WebRTC meaning to its fullest, ZEGOCLOUD SDKs and APIs stand out the most. ZEGOCLOUD offers a wide range of solutions encompassing text messaging, voice, video, and live streaming. By utilizing ZEGOCLOUD SDKs and APIs, you can create a high-quality real-time communication mobile and web application at a reasonable cost.
By integrating ZEGOCLOUD video calls, voice chat SDKs, and APIs into your application, you can take advantage of the benefits of WebRTC without having to manage the infrastructure yourself. Moreover, you can also easily integrate them into your apps as it provides detailed documentation along with video tutorials and comprehensive FAQ sections.
Prominent Features and Benefits of ZEGOCLOUD SDKs and APIs
The wide range of features offered by ZEGOCLOUD SDKs and APIs make them popular among developers. Summarized below are some of these key features and benefits:
- High Scalability: ZEGOCLOUD SDKs and APIs are highly scalable, which means they can handle large volumes of traffic without any degradation in performance. It is carefully made possible through a distributed architecture allowing automatic load balancing and failover.
- Ultra-Low Latency: The SDKs and APIs offered by ZEGOCLOUD to build real-time communication apps ensure ultra-low latency and provide a realistic experience to users. It also provides high-quality video and audio transmission and features like recording and playback.
- Security: Any real-time communication app nowadays is incomplete without advanced security measures. ZEGOCLOUD APIs and SDKs support highly advanced end-to-end encryption algorithms. As for data security and protection, these fully comply with GDPR and HIPAA.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: All ZEGOCLOUD SDKs and APIs are fully compatible with all major web browsers and operating systems. It means you can deliver real-time communication experiences to users on any device. Moreover, all the APIs and SDKs fully complement each other, turning your app into the best one.
All things considered, knowing what is WebRTC is essential to build a low-latency real-time communication app. It is the tool most WebRTC APIs and SDKs use to ensure low latency in real-time communication applications. To take full advantage of WebRTC’s capabilities, you should use ZEGOCLOUD video call SDK or voice call SDK. You can build secure and cost-effective real-time communication solutions with these amazing tools.
Talk to Expert
Learn more about our solutions and get your question answered.
Take your apps to the next level with our voice, video and chat APIs
- 10,000 minutes for free
- 4,000+ corporate clients
- 3 Billion daily call minutes