The tech world is on fire, with thousands of tweets buzzing about the newly announced OpenAI Plugins.
By now, there is no way some people have never heard about ChatGPT. As we previously introduced, it is a natural language processing tool driven by AI technology. It allows you to have human-like discussions, answer questions, and assist with tasks like composing emails, essays, and code. Since its debut in November 2022, millions of people have started to use it, and many businesses have been built around it. However, keeping up with its mindblowing updates and new functionalities is becoming challenging. The last introduction of OpenAI Plugins will extend by far the already remarkable capabilities of ChatGPT4.
This article will explore the extent of these new updates and how they will dramatically change the Internet landscape.
OpenAI PLugins for ChatGPT4
GPT-4, the latest version of OpenAI’s big language model, was released just a few weeks ago. This model is more prominent, expensive, and heavier than its predecessors due to the extensive amount of data it has been trained with. OpenAI developers used a “scaling up” strategy to attain better outcomes, which many AI experts credited to recent advances in AI.
GPT-4 is a modern multimodal system that enhances AI chatbots and produces video and audio media material while processing multiple inputs such as video, audio, and pictures. Although GPT-4 cannot yet generate media from text, it has made substantial advances over the prior model GPT-3.5, promising human-level proficiency and beyond in various professional assessments. According to OpenAI, the new model will give fewer factually inaccurate responses and stray from the topic less frequently.
How to use ChatGPT-4
Now GPT-4 enables more artificial intelligence demonstrations and is available to the general public via the ChatGPT Plus subscription plan for $20 monthly. Developers can incorporate APIs into their apps for roughly 3 cents for every 750 words of prompts and 6 cents per 750 words of replies. Nevertheless, developers need to join a waiting list to put their hands on these APIs. They must specify how they intend to utilize it and encourage them to offer particular application ideas.
Prominent firms like Duolingo, Stripe, and Khan Academy have already implemented GPT-4 into their products, while Microsoft Bing’s AI chatbot uses GPT-4. So far, Bing chatbot’s appeal originated from having the same capabilities as ChatGPT but full internet access.
However, things are about to change with the announcement of OpenAI Plugins.
Open AI launches ChatGPT Plugins.
According to the company’s blog post, the plugins are ”tools designed specifically for language models with safety as a core principle, and help ChatGPT access up-to-date information, run computations, or use third-party services”.
In practical terms, OpenAI plugins allow users to give text instructions via typing or speech recognition and have ChatGPT generate a response based on data from third-party sources.
Companies such as Expedia, Instacart, Kayak, OpenTable, and Zapier have already produced the first plugins. What these can do is mindblowing, and many see them as a threat to app stores and digital services business providers.
Take Expedia, the popular trip and flight booking website, as an example. Until now, ChatGPT could indicate to people where to stay, what to do, and any information about a place they were planning to visit. Nevertheless, without access to the Internet, the AI chatbot could not browse these travel booking websites and buy packages or tickets. This limitation is about to belong to the past because when a traveler activates the Expedia plugin, they can now “bring to life” a trip plan made through a discussion using ChatGPT. When they’re ready to book, they’ll be sent to Expedia, where they can log in to view tailored selections, member discounts, and more.
What are the implications of OpenAI Plugins?
This upgrade is critical for OpenAI since it allows the AI super-chatbot to search the Web and engage with specific websites.
Until now, ChatGPT’s major limitation was that it could only draw information from its training data. ChatGPT is becoming more than just a bump-and-run service, with access to the Web via plugin extensions. Users can quickly give text instructions via typing or speech recognition, and ChatGPT generates a response based on data from third-party sources. If this can be done without incurring unnecessary costs, OpenAI may have discovered the replacement for a traditional online search.
OpenAI anticipates that AI technologies will considerably impact employment transformation, displacement, and creation. Language models with access to tools such as plugins will have a substantially more significant economic effect than those without.
OpenAI is also creating a suitable environment in which developers can design and deploy their plugins for the benefit of users. OpenAI also provides plugins for translating code and dubbed browsing, allowing ChatGPT to retrieve information from the Internet. This situation creates new potential and markets for future AI conversations.
The OpenAI Code Interpreter Plugin
As mentioned, OpenAI has created a ChatGPT code interpreter plugin
It allows the model to use Python, handle file uploads and downloads, and run code in a sandboxed and firewalled execution environment. This code interpreter plugin is a sophisticated tool for solving mathematical issues, file conversion, data analysis and visualization, and more, all within a chat session. It allows entirely new processes, making chores more accessible and efficient while introducing programming to new audiences.
Numerous examples on the Internet currently, including demos by OpenAI, show how ChatGPT leverages the code interpreter to precisely answer complicated queries and tasks.
We are therefore witnessing an unprecedented event where plugins have far-reaching societal repercussions. Many experts agree that some occupations and functions will be worthless within various industries.
Upsides and downsides of OpenAI Plugins
Now, let’s list the main advantages and pain point is this potentially disruptive introduction of OpenAI Plugins.
As per our understanding, the new OpenAI plugins, alongside the third-party ones, will:
- Enhance ChatGPT capability to run computations, use updated information from the Internet and employ third-party services.
- Pave the way to broader companies’ collaborations by putting ChatGPT at the center of this collaborative Web.
- Enable a safer use of Python thanks to the Code interpreter, solving mathematical problems, quickly analyzing and visualizing data, simplifying the coding experience.
- Organize, integrate, and protect data with the open-source retrieval plugin able to synchronize multiple vector databases and information sources
- Use the Bing API directly to search, thus synthesizing information across multiple sources and orderly references with verifiable hyperlinks.
These few points let us deduce the vast improvements the AI super chatbot will have with integrated plugins. A quicker, extended, and more precise ChatGPT opens many opportunities. Nonetheless, given the disruptive nature of these updates happening in such a fast way, there are also disadvantages and concerns. For many, threats!
Disadvantages and Concerns
The disadvantages and concerns stand more from a societal and economic point of view, with many experts and analysts pointing out the potential issues in the long term. Some of these are already clearly unfolding.
The main concerns are:
- Negative impact on SEO due to the massive quantity of AI-generated content leading to an oversaturated market. Businesses, bloggers, and anyone wishing to stand out in search results will face more difficulties, necessitating a shift in SEO strategies and tactics
- Due to the quantity mentioned above problem, lower quality content available online challenges search engines, pushing them to improve their algorithms in recognizing and rewarding original high-quality content.
- Smaller businesses and entities will thus have a competitive disadvantage vis-a-vis the large companies with more resources. Well-funded organizations may obtain an unfair advantage over smaller firms or individuals. This is not only true for content production, which will require shifting SEO tactics.
- Plugins of major companies collaborating with ChatGPT will redirect a lot of traffic and clients toward them at the expense of small businesses that do not have the resources to invest in AI tools. For example, the Instacart plugin is unfair competition for a small grocery delivery store. This issue is referred to as the monopolization of AI services.
- An impressive further automatization of tasks and workflows will eliminate many existing job positions and lead to job displacement across many industries.
- Biased decision-making could be reinforced if the plugins confirm or amplify users’ input and source data biases.
- Unintended leaks and privacy violations are possible, given the plugin’s access to personal and organizational information.
The launch of OpenAI plugins has exciting prospects, which come with many questions about their impact. OpenAI itself openly discusses the risks and challenges that ChaGPT plugins bring. Because of the security threats, the company delayed plugin distribution.
Furthermore, OpenAI collaborated with research partners on the far-reaching ramifications of language model-based software on the labor market.
In conclusion, considerations about the accessibility and governance of these potent AI-powered tools are necessary to enhance their value. Only in this way individuals and businesses can enjoy immense value creation and efficiency improvements.
Talk to Expert
Learn more about our solutions and get your question answered.
Take your apps to the next level with our voice, video and chat APIs
- 10,000 minutes for free
- 4,000+ corporate clients
- 3 Billion daily call minutes